Tuesday, 27 June 2017

Brent Council's Answers to Our 11th April Task Force meeting Qs

Received 26th June 17.44hrs:  
(about Extra Wembley National Stadium Event Days planning app 17/0368)

1. How can ward members / residents raise their concerns with partner organisations (TFL, Police, etc.)?

That would be directly with these organisations, and we can provide the contact details.
There is also the Wembley Stadium Residents Advisory Committee which was set up by the FA specifically for residents to raise any concerns about stadium event and activities, and the local Wembley Brent Connects meetings where more general concerns can be raised.

2. What measures are in place to ensure Tottenham / FA control any arising issues? How will the council monitor them?

Event day arrangements are subject to agreement and monitoring by the Wembley Stadium Safety Advisory Group (WSAG), its Transport sub group and officers attending and working in support of each event. The WSAG also includes partners from the police, all relevant transport organisations, the LFB [London Fire Brigade], The London Ambulance Service, The Sports Ground Safety Authority, Tottenham Hotspur, the FA and Quintain. These partners are charged with ensuring safe and trouble free events that minimise impact on the local community.

3. What support be available for local residents (particularly elderly) impacted by Tottenham’s move to Wembley?

Residents can raise any concerns directly with the council and/or the FA.
The Pensioner’s Forum, a dormant sub-group of Brent Connects, is currently under review with a completion date of mid-August 2017. Should it be reinstated, it will be an effective support mechanism for elderly residents in the borough. In short-term, the forum’s Chair, Vi Steele, is still actively engaging with older people in Brent.
Also to be secured via S106:

 Community Engagement Resource – Wembley National Stadium Limited (WNSL) will employ a dedicated Community Engagement member of staff to support the communications and engagement with local residents, businesses and Brent Council. This will be support by Totten Hotspur Football Club’s (THFC’s) community relations and communications team.

 Coordinated Communications – Brent Council, WNSL and THFC will produce a coordinated comprehensive communications programme dedicated to ensuring residents have greater awareness and knowledge of the full events calendar, Event Day start and kick off times and the measures being taken to mitigate their impact. These communication channels will include:
- Brent Magazine
- Council’s resident database
- THFC, WNSL and Brent website and social media channels
- Local newspapers and radio
- Other potential advertising across local transport hubs

4. How will crowd management at local transport links be facilitated?
This is coordinated through the WSAG and arrangements will mirror the usual match day arrangements that are marshalled by the police, stewards and the transport providers themselves.

5. How many enforcement officers will be available to enforce traffic regulations?

To be determined, however, deployment is likely to mirror that made at any other event.
The S106 (being completed) included measures as outlined above and to reflect the proposal as follows on parking:

 Parking Provision on-site: WNSL, THFC and Quintain will reduce on-site Event Day spectator parking, reducing the impact of event day traffic and supporting the ‘public transport destination’ message (to be implemented ahead of start of 2017/18 season).

 Pirate Parking off-site: WNSL has funded a six-month joint scheme with Brent Council and Quintain to shut down illegal car parks surrounding the stadium in order to further cut the supply of parking. This has already been very successful leading to a reduction in around one third of available off-site spaces.

 Traffic Management Measures: WNSL and THFC will implement temporary traffic management measures for all THFC Event days in order to ensure that any vehicles in the area for the match have limited impact on residents and the community.

 Parking Enforcement: WNSL and THFC will pay for additional on-street parking enforcement for all THFC Event Days in order to ensure that there is limited impact on residents from vehicles parked illegally.

 Promoting Use of Public Transport: THFC will implement a comprehensive Transport Communications Plan to all supporters attending matches, promoting the Stadium as a public transport destination and explicitly advising against driving due to impact on the area, lack of parking and strong local enforcement. Such an approach has so far meant over 78% of supporters have travelled by Tube and rail, with only 6% travelling by car to THFC matches at Wembley.

 Event Day Signage: WNSL are funding and leading a coordinated approach with key stakeholders to address existing road signage. All works will be completed prior to the commencement of the 2017/18 season. These include:

- Audit: Funded a comprehensive audit of existing signage through Brent to identify broken signage and/or current low or no signage areas in order to ensure local residents have better knowledge of events and their restrictions (completed).

- Signage Maintenance: Undertake maintenance to repair existing Variable-Message Signs (VMS) and Event Day Flap signs. Signage Improvements – Following the audit, WNSL and THFC will commit to the provision of additional VMS and Event Day Flap Signs to improve areas with insufficient signage.

- WSTOG: THFC will continue to work closely alongside the Wembley Stadium Transport Operations Group through attending all meetings, promoting further transport messages and identify upcoming service issues.

6. How will Tottenham’s move benefit local businesses? How will we ensure businesses on the High Road / Triangle are not adversely affected?

This will have commercial benefit for some, depending on their line of business. Many of the matches will be on Sundays and/or evenings thus bringing new business at hitherto quieter business times.

In addition to the above, the Town Centre Manager for Wembley (Rubina Charalambous) will be working closely with the local business community to exploit any promotional opportunities through the development of a robust marketing / PR campaign in partnership with THFC and WNSL

7. What percentage of new employment generated to be provided to local residents?

The council’ job and apprenticeship brokerage, Brent Works, will work closely with Tottenham Hotspur and continue to work with the FA to promote any vacancies to local residents. Early discussions have taken place with the Tottenham Hotspur Charitable Foundation, who themselves are keen to provide training for local residents to help them in accessing these opportunities.


Reminder of what was said at the Task Force meeting:

Minutes 11th April Task Force Meeting with Leader + Senior Brent People

Minutes of the meeting about the increased Stadium Capacity
Date & Time: 11th April 2017 6pm
Venue: Brent Civic Centre
Attendees:
Cllr Muhammed Butt Leader of the council & Tokyngton Ward Cllr (MB)
Cllr Eleanor Southwood Cabinet Member for Environment & Queens Park Ward Cllr (ES)
Cllr Shama Tatler Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Growth, Employment and Skills & Fryent Ward Cllr (ST)
Cllr Krupa Sheth Wembley Central Ward Cllr  (KS)
Chris Whyte Brent Council Operation Director for Environmental Services (CW)
Amar Dave Brent Council Strategic Director (AD)
Niral Babla Chair Wembley High Road Business Association (NB)
Francis Henry Wembley Futures Chair (FH)
Popsy Kundi Minutes (PK)
Denise Cheong Wembley Champions (DC)
Michael Calderbank Wembley Park Residents Association (MC)
Thomas Casewood (TC)
Eileen Driscoll (ED)
Cllr Shama agreed with DC & ED after end of recorded minutes to review the minutes in one afternoon to verify them. 

We will be sharing the minutes with Brent residents & businesses end of today with the caveat that Cllr Shama is to verify the minutes on our Council's behalf.  [Cllr Shama has verified the minutes]
Meeting opened with introductions
MB Possible Legal action would mean that the meeting cannot go ahead with the planned agenda. Right to take planning application to planning tribunal.
DC Should we take legal action? No from other residents, proceed with meeting agenda.
MB Not sure what this public meeting is about.
DC Unhappy members from Brent, public meeting to understand process better.
MB Everything that applies to planning is public information. Documents are on councils website.
NB Irregularities have occurred in feedback.
FH Planning has not been transparent with regards to anti social behaviour, toilets, roads, parking and congestion. Public want answers.
MB End of the month for application deadline by stadium for decision between stadium and Tottenham.
MC All relevant parties need to involved in process moving forward
MB Initial meetings took place with other ward members through councillors and will come back to a group in council to monitor.
MC Where is opportunity for ward members to raise issues with TFL etc.
CW TFL, Chiltern Railways, Met Police, Stadium are bought together to discuss operations on event days. Complaints are discussed re anti social behaviour etc. Bi-monthly meetings meetings but more frequent if requested. I am the chair and will be happy to raise any issues with resident group meetings.
MC Residents had no idea these meetings took place.
CW I will discuss at the next meeting on 25/4 and get back to group for next meeting.
MB Anyone can attend these meetings. I will send details to Barn Hill and other residents associations. Issues discussed illegal street traders, advanced notifications of events, anti social behaviour, stewards on street. Meetings approx 4-6 monthly. They can ask for more regular meetings. Anyone can be part of the meetings.
CW Commitment from Tottenham taking control of issues if they come to Wembley.
MB Commitment is there to hold Tottenham to account after every match. There will be rigorous monitoring. Performance measures are in place. They will need to demonstrate community engagement. A community trust is in place by Tottenham.
MC But this is temporary, Where is the incentive to put community engagement in?
MB Stadium and FA are going to be held to account and are seen as same entity.
CW Very serious incidents occurring would allow us to influence kick of times. Secondary advisory group must always be consulted e.g. if two rival clubs an earlier kick off time could be factored in on a match by match basis. Wembley stadium will organise events and not Tottenham.
MC Incentives such as tickets for local residents have been mentioned. How are council going to monitor these undertakings?
MB System in place first port of call schools who will have direct links with community engagement team.
MC What about local residents who are impacted?
MB Yes they will be contacted too, in priority of schools, Charities, residents and then councillors.
DC Back to agenda, key issue quality of life for elderly Brent residents, fear of being prisoners.
MC Some residents frightened of leaving their homes on event days.
MB Not sure how we would assist with this. Perhaps carers hub option to help. Could ask community engagement team.
DC Transport issues Stadium has average public transport accessibility level rating of 3.
One station has a rating of 2. another 4 & the other 6. Is there anything that can be done to facilitate management of crowds?
MB TFL will ensure adequate trains are put into place. Crowds usually cleared within 90 mins.
CW All parties TFL, Met police have detailed discussions prior to events.
DC 10-12 hours are effected per game due to traffic management.
MB Enforcement of traffic regulations usually 2-3 hours prior and post event.
DC How many enforcement officers?
MB No numbers available. If there are line closures chances of event not going ahead. Managed by Stadium transport person.
DC What exact benefits to residents and businesses?
MB Don't have all details. Will send through recommendations in community report page 4.
NB Costing businesses on High Rd on average 25% per Event Day. What percentage of new employment local?
MB WE are trying to support local businesses. Local people being employed on event days. Clear benefit to residents of Brent. Confirmed by meeting and talking to staff employed.
DC Our source says jobs are outsourced. What is the percentage? Which local staff? Many businesses closing such as Shisha bars, & Doreen's hat shop. Any figures?
MB LDO business model is not long term. The turnover of businesses are expected with a few anchor chains M&S, Nike, Adidas etc. Shisha bars are breaching the law so hence they have been targeted.
MC How can we ensure businesses are not effected on high road/triangle.
ST High streets are changing and decline is not just Wembley. Town Centre manager we will be working with.
DC Parking restrictions, high road business need for security staff on Event Days security are effecting local high street and Preston Rd.
ST We cannot get away from the fact of a National Stadium in borough.
AD Planning was made at statute. We will not revisit the planning application.
End of recorded minutes
Meeting continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment