Friday, 28 April 2017

Correspondence from office of Dawn Butler Brent Central MP

We wrote to Dawn Butler MP cc. all the resident + business groups who were members of Wembley Champions, affilated groups and friends at that time [we are affiliated with more resident groups now].

This is the correspondence we received:

From: BUTLER, Dawn
Sent: 05 March 2017 21:39:01
To: Dawn Butler MP Office
Subject: Fw: Wembley National Stadium Proposed Increase in Event days and Event Day Capacity

"This person is a Brent North constituent but I know some of the co signatories are not.  I think we will need to respond to this right?"
J

Sent: 15 March 2017 00:25

"Thank you for your recent email to Dawn Butler, MP.  
Due to strict parliamentary protocol, Members of Parliament are only permitted to make representations on behalf of their own constituents. 
Unfortunately, due to this protocol, Ms Butler is unable to aid you with this matter. From the address you have provided, I understand that your MP is Barry Gardiner who, I can see, you have also copied into your email correspondence. I am sure, therefore, that your needs will be attended to and that  Barry will do all he can to help you in his capacity as your MP. 
Kind regards,

Office of Dawn Butler, MP
"


Thursday, 27 April 2017

Minutes 11th April Task Force Meeting with Leader + Senior Brent People

Minutes of the meeting about the increased Stadium Capacity
Date & Time: 11th April 2017 6pm
Venue: Brent Civic Centre 

Attendees:
Cllr Muhammed Butt Leader of the council & Tokyngton Ward Cllr (MB)
Cllr Eleanor Southwood Cabinet Member for Environment & Queens Park Ward Cllr (ES)
Cllr Shama Tatler Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Growth, Employment and Skills & Fryent Ward Cllr (ST)
Cllr Krupa Sheth Wembley Central Ward Cllr  (KS)
Chris Whyte Brent Council Operation Director for Environmental Services (CW)
Amar Dave Brent Council Strategic Director (AD)
Niral Babla Chair Wembley High Road Business Association (NB)
Francis Henry Wembley Futures Chair (FH)
Popsy Kundi Minutes (PK)
Denise Cheong Wembley Champions (DC)
Michael Calderbank Wembley Park Residents Association (MC)
Thomas Casewood (TC)
Eileen Driscoll (ED) 

Cllr Shama agreed with DC & ED after end of recorded minutes to review the minutes in one afternoon to verify them. 

We will be sharing the minutes with Brent residents & businesses end of today with the caveat that Cllr Shama is to verify the minutes on our Council's behalf.  [Cllr Shama has verified the minutes]


Meeting opened with introductions

MB Possible Legal action would mean that the meeting cannot go ahead with the planned agenda. Right to take planning application to planning tribunal.

DC Should we take legal action? No from other residents, proceed with meeting agenda.

MB Not sure what this public meeting is about.

DC Unhappy members from Brent, public meeting to understand process better.

MB Everything that applies to planning is public information. Documents are on councils website.

NB Irregularities have occurred in feedback.

FH Planning has not been transparent with regards to anti social behaviour, toilets, roads, parking and congestion. Public want answers.

MB End of the month for application deadline by stadium for decision between stadium and Tottenham.

MC All relevant parties need to involved in process moving forward

MB Initial meetings took place with other ward members through councillors and will come back to a group in council to monitor.

MC Where is opportunity for ward members to raise issues with TFL etc.

CW TFL, Chiltern Railways, Met Police, Stadium are bought together to discuss operations on event days. Complaints are discussed re anti social behaviour etc. Bi-monthly meetings meetings but more frequent if requested. I am the chair and will be happy to raise any issues with resident group meetings.

MC Residents had no idea these meetings took place.

CW I will discuss at the next meeting on 25/4 and get back to group for next meeting.

MB Anyone can attend these meetings. I will send details to Barn Hill and other residents associations. Issues discussed illegal street traders, advanced notifications of events, anti social behaviour, stewards on street. Meetings approx 4-6 monthly. They can ask for more regular meetings. Anyone can be part of the meetings.

CW Commitment from Tottenham taking control of issues if they come to Wembley.

MB Commitment is there to hold Tottenham to account after every match. There will be rigorous monitoring. Performance measures are in place. They will need to demonstrate community engagement. A community trust is in place by Tottenham.

MC But this is temporary, Where is the incentive to put community engagement in?

MB Stadium and FA are going to be held to account and are seen as same entity.

CW Very serious incidents occurring would allow us to influence kick of times. Secondary advisory group must always be consulted e.g. if two rival clubs an earlier kick off time could be factored in on a match by match basis. Wembley stadium will organise events and not Tottenham.

MC Incentives such as tickets for local residents have been mentioned. How are council going to monitor these undertakings?

MB System in place first port of call schools who will have direct links with community engagement team.

MC What about local residents who are impacted?

MB Yes they will be contacted too, in priority of schools, Charities, residents and then councillors.

DC Back to agenda, key issue quality of life for elderly Brent residents, fear of being prisoners.

MC Some residents frightened of leaving their homes on event days.

MB Not sure how we would assist with this. Perhaps carers hub option to help. Could ask community engagement team.

DC Transport issues Stadium has average public transport accessibility level rating of 3. One station has a rating of 2. another 4 & the other 6. Is there anything that can be done to facilitate management of crowds?

MB TFL will ensure adequate trains are put into place. Crowds usually cleared within 90 mins.

CW All parties TFL, Met police have detailed discussions prior to events.

DC 10-12 hours are effected per game due to traffic management.

MB Enforcement of traffic regulations usually 2-3 hours prior and post event.

DC How many enforcement officers?

MB No numbers available. If there are line closures chances of event not going ahead. Managed by Stadium transport person.

DC What exact benefits to residents and businesses?

MB Don't have all details. Will send through recommendations in community report page 4.

NB Costing businesses on High Rd on average 25% per Event Day. What percentage of new employment local?

MB WE are trying to support local businesses. Local people being employed on event days. Clear benefit to residents of Brent. Confirmed by meeting and talking to staff employed.

DC Our source says jobs are outsourced. What is the percentage? Which local staff? Many businesses closing such as Shisha bars, & Doreen's hat shop. Any figures?

MB LDO business model is not long term. The turnover of businesses are expected with a few anchor chains M&S, Nike, Adidas etc. Shisha bars are breaching the law so hence they have been targeted.

MC How can we ensure businesses are not effected on high road/triangle.

ST High streets are changing and decline is not just Wembley. Town Centre manager we will be working with.

DC Parking restrictions, high road business need for security staff on Event Days security are effecting local high street and Preston Rd.

ST We cannot get away from the fact of a National Stadium in borough.

AD Planning was made at statute. We will not revisit the planning application.

End of recorded minutes
Meeting continued.

Saturday, 22 April 2017

A Day in the Life of a Tokyngton Ward Resident on Event Days

This was sent to all three Tokyngton Ward Councillors, Cllr Muhammed Butt (also Leader of Brent Council), Cllr Ketan Sheth, Cllr Orleen Hylton prior to 23rd March Planning Committee:

"Dear Councillors Muhammed, Orleen and Sam [he means Ketan]

Below is a plea to Preston Ward councillors which I totally agree. These concerns below apply to residents in the Tokington ward even more, being nearer the stadium.

A few weeks ago there were two events in one week, one involving [the same venue user]. After each event I cleared from my front garden, front wall, hedge and pavement alongside my property a bag of rubbish on each event containing cans, bottles,plastic drinking cups, half eaten sandwiches, half eaten kebab, food and cigarette boxes. Also left on the corner of my property was a large plastic bag half filled with empty beer cans. On each occasion having cleared up this rubbish the bags were left in the gutter for the council to clear up a day later. I also had two drinkers sitting on my front wall drinking... I was not prepared to confront them and ask them to move... especially after spending time in the pub before matches, they can be very aggressive.

Wembley stadium was never intended to be used as the home venue for a football club, even on a temporary basis. Ten years ago Brent Council refused to contemplate [a different] Football Club from using Wembley as a home venue when it was suggested and I don't see what has changed to make the council change their position concerning [this] application. The fact that [our National Wembley Stadium venue user] flatly refused the suggestion that the limit should be to the capacity of their new stadium shows... utter contempt for the concerns of the residents living around the stadium.

I hope you support the concerns of the residents in your ward concerning this application to remove the cap on the 31 extra events.

With Kind Regards...
I wholeheartedly support the plea to Preston Ward councillors below"

Our Call for HELP to Preston Ward Cllrs on Extra Uncapped Event Days

Wednesday, 12 April 2017

Update Post Task Force Meeting with Leader & Senior Brent People

 
Message from Cllr, Muhammed Butt, Leader of Brent Council & Tokyngton Ward Councillor:

"I would like to Thank Denise and her colleagues for organising the meeting to discuss the issues and concerns they have around the decision for THFC [Tottenham Hotspurs Football Club] coming to the Stadium.
THFC have not confirmed that they will be coming to the stadium they have indicated that they will confirm that decision by the end of April.

The council will work with the stadium and THFC to make sure the commitments and assurances given as part of the planning application are delivered.

The commitment is there to work with Wembley Champions to make sure that the best interests of the residents are looked after and to address the concerns raised by everyone at the meeting."

BBC Sport Article about THFC Decision: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39435423

Sunday, 9 April 2017

The People's Experience of Event Days

Comment on Brent and Kilburn Times Facebook: 
"There's enough event days, and honestly after working in two Wembley Park pubs, anymore would be far too much. Nobody wants to work on event day, whether it's in the pub, restaurants or shops, it's a nightmare. It's hard enough to get staff to do the event days, then to make those working them quit because of utter exhaustion. So no point saying the businesses should be delighted, or it'd bring money to the area. There's no money if you've no staff."

Staff at one of the restaurants in London Designer Outlet (the restaurant closed down few months ago):
Event Days staff were rushed off their feet trying to serve the masses of footy fans in a short space of time before and after Event Days. They would have to cover all their tables at once. That puts huge stress on their staff to try to serve all the covers in little time.

Optometrist Preston Road:
Event days make Preston Rd a virtual 'no go area' for local health care providers due to parking restrictions.

Wembley Triangle Resident:
Two Shisha Restaurants have Closed Down & Doreen's Hat Shop is empty too. All her stuff's gone and the shop's vacant.


Wembley High Road:
There's so many betting shops along the High Road. In the last 5 years the High Road has become an agglomeration of gambling shops. If I put a 10p bet in every shop wonder how much I'd win?The big shiny one at the traffic lights by Park Lane used to be the Woolwich. Miss them days... Miss the Marks and Spencer too & Woolies! 




More quotes to upload this week...

Saturday, 8 April 2017

People's Experience of Brent's Planning Consultation Process

Quotes from Brent people:

"PARK LAWNS DID NOT RECEIVE ANY COMMUNICATION IN REF TO STADIUM OR INDEED CHESTERFIELD LAST YEAR"
Chair, Park Lawns Residents Association


"We asked our Cllr Shafique Choudhary to negotiate an extension in order to make sure people had time to make their point. It was after this was agreed that the site went down."
Chair, Barn Hill Residents Association


"The only people [consulted] in South Meadows was only one block and that was one of the ones at the front not a true circulation of important documents - 80% of South Meadows were unaware of the proposed plans"
Resident, South Meadows Ltd


"We never received consultation documents. I mentioned that in my objection as well. Not surprisingly my sister who has never objected to anything and lives in Sudbury received consultation documents for the stadium. However, as she has objected to this, I'm guessing she's never going to receive anything in the future again."
Resident, South Meadows Ltd


"I did not receive any documentation about Chesterfield House. I received a visit from the developers at my request but apart from that no actual consultation documents. Also since it was approved no time line of work for Chesterfield house to be demolished and the twin towers  built." Resident, Off Park Lane

"There is currently lots of building work taking place across Wembley. Controlled access of delivery and construction vehicles to these building sites is causing daily traffic congestion around Wembley Park and extremely poor air quality.

The addition of extra event days, totalling up to more than 1 event every week, would add enormous pressure to an already congested road network. 90000 people and 31 additional event days, creating 68 event days during the proposed time frame, is too much.

We need the road infrastructure to be completed around the stadium before we even consider extra events."

Francis Henry
Chair, Wembley Futures
Director, Daniels Estate Agents

Local paper: Anger at Extra Full Capacity Event Days

Brent and Kilburn Times covers our People's View - 30th March 2017


Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Our Post Committee Task Force to meet with Senior Council Officials

Wembley Champions Task Force have been working round the clock to protect Brent residents and businesses.

Wembley Central Ward Cllr Krupa Sheth took the lead for us little people in arranging a meeting with Senior Brent Council Officials.

The Leader of Brent Council Cllr Muhammed Butt along with senior Council Officers will meet with members of our task force shortly.

Cllr Butt has promised us a public meeting to follow this to which we may invite other Brent Cllrs. We are grateful to the Leader of the Council and his senior officials for taking time to meet with us. 

We hope to reach a positive outcome for Wembley and Brent people.

Sunday, 2 April 2017

Follow us


Twitter: @WembleyChampion

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kingeddiespark

Email: wembleychamps@outlook.com


Latest articles of interest:

The Football Association have given Tottenham Hotspurs an extension until 30th April to confirm if they will move to Wembley National Stadium.

3000 flats being built in 2017-2018: Future Wembley Stadium + High Rise Apartments c.2020

c.2007-2010 Wembley
c. 2008 Source: Nationwide Bank on Wembley High Road
Anger amongst Wembley residents!: Resident Anger at Extra Uncapped Event Days

Latest tweets including press updates